General Work Visa
The following documentation must be submitted by each person applying for a General Work Visa:
- A duly completed application form BI-1738 signed by the applicant
- Valid Swiss permit + copy
- Passport valid for no less than 30 days after the expiry of intended visit and having at least two (2) blank pages + copy;
- Proof of payment of visa fees : 123 Fs (to be deposited in Consulate bank account – details to be obtained at the Consulate)
- A vaccination certificate, if required by the Act
- Medical and radiology reports (individual report)
- A police clearance certificate from each country in which you resided for 12 months or longer since the age of 18 years
- A written undertaking by the employer accepting responsibility for the costs related to the deportation of the applicant and his or her dependant family members, should it became necessary
- A written undertaking by the employer to ensure that the passport of his or her employee is valid at all times for the duration of his or her employment
- A certificate by the Department of Labour confirming that:
- despite a diligent search, the prospective employer has been unable to find a suitable citizen or permanent resident with qualifications or skills and experience equivalent to those of the applicant;
- the applicant has qualifications or proven skills and experience in line with the job offer;
- the salary and benefits of the applicant are not inferior to the average salary and benefits of citizens or permanent residents occupying similar positions in the Republic; and
- the contract of employment stipulating the conditions of employment and signed by both the employer and the applicant is in line with the labour standards in the Republic and is made conditional upon the general work visa being approved;
- proof of qualifications evaluated by SAQA and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of the Republic;
- full particulars of the employer, including, where applicable, proof of registration of the business with the Commission on Intellectual Property and Companies (CIPC);
- an undertaking by the employer to inform the Director-General should the applicant not comply with the provisions of the Act or conditions of the visa; and
- an undertaking by the employer to inform the Director-General upon the employee no longer being in the employ of such employer or when he or she is employed in a different capacity or role.
All required documentation for spouse and/or children if they intend to accompany you
A general work permit shall lapse if within 6 months of issuance and if every year thereafter the holder fails to submit satisfactory proof to the Director-General that he/she is still employed along with proof of the terms and conditions of the job, and the job description.
- Status/progress reports are not provided during the processing period (4 – 8 weeks).
- Furthermore, no ‘express service’ for processing visa applications is available
- A general work visa shall be issued for a period not exceeding five (5) years.
- Documentation that accompanies the visa application shall be original or copies authenticated by the issuing authority of the country of origin and translated into English, where applicable, and certified as a correct translation by a sworn translator at the expense of the applicant.